Some of My Scrap Works

Friday, November 20, 2009

Altered Clipboard

Welcome to the AC Bailey Jingle Bell Hop! With the holidays literally around the corner, the AC Bailey Design Team has decided to help Santa (and you) out this year with some fun and easy projects to help make the holiday gift season a bit easier. And just like Santa, we've also gotten some extra help this year and asked some additional elves to help out and post some of their cool projects too! And if that isn't enough help...we've also arranged for some early Black Friday sales just in case you need some products to get the projects completed.
So come out and meet our "Elves"...check out their projects...leave a comment on their blogs and be eligible for a prize - upload some of your completed projects from any of the tutorials into the ACBailey gallery and be eligible for another prize! Projects need to be completed and uploaded into the galleryby Tuesday, November 24th at Midnight Eastern to be eligible for a prize.

If you are new to my site, I hope you take the chance to look around and find a bit of inspiration. I have not been a great blogger lately - the day job sometimes requires a lot of major effort and that eats into my fun time. I am going into my third year with ACBailey and I can't say enough good things about the company, the products available and the great gals and talent on our forum. After you've checked out my tutorial for an Altered Clip Board, be sure to click the link that will take you to Connie, who has a great project for you on her blog.



Altered Clip Board – a Great Gift for Teachers and Coaches

I make a few of these every year for teachers and coaches and they are always a big hit!

Supplies:

Clip Board for an Office Supply Store

Mod Podge Matte

Foam Brushes

Patterned Paper of your choice (you need at least 2 full sheets – one each for front and back and a bit for the inch that the paper doesn’t cover)

Inks

Embellishments

Chipboard

Buttons

Ribbon

Threading Water Punch

Thickers

Jenni Bowlin Bingo Card

Because these are so wonderful personalized for the receiver - I just pit a link to where you can find these products.

A few notes before you start – Sometimes when using Mod Podge, air bubbles can occur under the paper – in order to avoid that, I seal the clip board with a coat of Mod Podge, and then when it is dry I paint the Mod Podge on again and then adhere the paper making sure to press down hard. The heavier double sided papers seem to work the best and automatically coordinate.

Steps:

  1. Seal the Clip Board with a coat of Mod Podge and thoroughly dry.
  2. Measure your paper and cut using the Clip Board as a guide.
  3. Coat one side of the Clip Board with Mod Podge and adhere paper making sure to press down hard to avoid any bubbles. Using craft knife, trim where necessary. Repeat for side 2.
  4. As you can see, the paper is just a bit too short, so you will need a coordinating paper to cover this area. I used what was left from cutting the width and edged it with a Fiskars Threading Water Punch. Adhere with Mod Podge to the back of the Clip Board.
  5. For the front of the Clip Board, where the clip is, just run your paper to the edge of the clip and using your fingernail “score” and cut about ½ inch, then using your fingernail “score” the angle of clip and then cut. Once you have made the cut adhere with Mod Podge – better larger than smaller – you can always trim. Repeat this step for the other side of the clip.
  6. Trim any excess papers and ink the edges, if desired.
  7. Paint a thin coat of Mod Podge on the back of the covered Clip Board. When dry, repeat on the other side – I usually just hold the clip open til it dries – it only takes a few minutes.
  8. Now the fun part – embellish using chipboard, buttons, stickers, sayings – whatever goes with your design…just remember not to put any lumpy stuff on the front of the Clip Board where it would be used to write. Put a flower or chipboard embellishment on the front of the clip and personalize with the name on the back. I tie ribbons in the hole and leave a long ribbon to hold a pen.
  9. Once all your embellishing is done and adhered well, paint a thin coat of Mod Podge over everything – front and back. Let dry and repeat.
  10. Add ribbons to clip If desired, the Clip Board can be sprayed with clear acrylic for extra protection.

17 comments:

Connie Mercer said...

I love your clip board!!!What a great gift this will make.

Rhonda said...

Wow Dee! Thanks that was a great tutorial! I think I might have to whip one of these up for my co-coach. Great idea! Thanks!~~Rhonda

cardsister said...

This is fantastic, Dee! Love this because it is so functionable. Can't wait to give this a try!

Unknown said...

Looks great, Dee!! I'm going to try some of these.

Destinae W. said...

I love altered clipboards! I've done a couple for myself, but duh, I should do this for my kids teacher. TFS

Kristii said...

What an awesome project!!! I am going to have to do one of these for sure!

Jenn said...

I love making clipboards..they make fantastic teacher's gifts! Great tutorial!!

Stephanie said...

Cute clipboard. They are such great gifts. I love them. I think I've done them for everyone but me. I think it's my turn. :)

IRW Dana said...

Dee this is a perfect gift for my DD who is an elementary school teacher. Now off to find the perfect paper.

Ginnifer said...

Very Samples! I've made them before for my son's teacher and it's definately a great teacher gift to give!

KFairbanks said...

Love it Dee! Great blog!

Sandi Runyan said...

yes, maam, I am doing some of these for gifts this y ear..yours turned out way too cute!!!

Michelle said...

This is the perfect project for an online class I'm taking. Thanks for the tutorial and all the tips!

Jennifer Hansen said...

Cute clipboard. I just made one last week too!

Christina said...

This is great!! I know a coach how needs one of these.

Tam Harper said...

Love the tut Dee. I always wondered why my paper bubbled. Hmmm... need to make a few of these. Thanks!

LA Homespun Designs said...

I love your project & tutorial! I really would like to know who is the designer of the scrapbook paper (diamond) on your clipboard or where I could find it in digital format...if possible. It is perfect! The link for "paper" in your tut would not work for me either as I thought that might be where I could get more info.
Thanks so much,
Lee Anne